Personal Data Policy
CFA Society Singapore (“CFA Society Singapore” or as appropriate in the context, “the Society”, “we“, “us” or “our“) is a Member Society of the CFA Institute. This Personal Data Policy (“Policy”) has been developed as an extension of CFA Society Singapore’s commitment to combine quality products and services with the highest level of integrity in dealing with the public, our members and candidates.
This Policy describes the types of Personal Data that CFA Society Singapore may collect from you, how we may use that information, and with whom we may share it. Our Policy also describes the measures we take to protect the security of the information you provide to us, including without limitation through this Website. We also tell you how you can reach us to update your Personal Data ask questions you may have about our Personal Data protection practices and provide feedback on our Personal Data protection practices.
“Personal Data” in this Policy means data that can identify an individual.
1. Personal Data that we collect
The types of Personal Data that we collect about individuals include:
- Residential address
- Mobile number
- Residential telephone number
- Educational background and qualifications
- Work history
- Sponsor recommendations
- Dues information
2. Purposes for which we collect and use Personal Data
We collect and use the Personal Data that you provide to us for the following purposes:
- To establish and maintain your CFA Society Singapore membership, including processing membership applications and handling membership and general enquiries
- To promote and administer CFA Society Singapore programs and services
- To promote and administer of CFA candidate preparatory courses and products
- To evaluate and to improve CFA Society Singapore’s programs and services
- To respond to queries or comments on CFA Society Singapore’s programmes and services
- All other purposes that are ancillary to or in furtherance of the above purposes, where appropriate.
We only collect and use Personal Data for purposes which you have consented to and for which we have been authorised. We may collect Personal Data directly from you or through a third party service provider on our behalf. If we need to use your Personal Data for any purpose which you have not previously consented to, we will seek your consent prior to using your Personal Data for the new purpose.
3. Disclosure, sharing and transfer of Personal Data
CFA Society Singapore does not sell or rent Personal Data that we collect from individuals, including our website visitors. In the course of or in connection with managing our membership program and in administering our courses and services, we may disclose, share and transfer Personal Data to the following parties for the following purposes:
- To our agents and sub-contractors for the purposes of handling membership and general enquiries, processing membership applications, administering or conduct examinations, organising events and courses for members on our behalf
- To event organisers and service providers to facilitate the planning of events / functions that CFA Society Singapore organises or is involved in
- To government and non-government authorities, agencies and/or regulators as required under law or under directions or orders from the government and non-government authorities, agencies and/or regulators for regulatory approvals
- Financial institutions and payment service providers for purposes of payments and transactions related to CFA Society Singapore’s provision of programmes and services and services provided to CFA Society Singapore by our service providers / consultants
CFA Society Singapore requires that the parties to whom we transfer Personal Data and our service providers implement adequate levels of protection in order to protect Personal Data. We also require that these parties only process Personal Data strictly for purposes for which we engage them for and consistent with the purposes that we have described in Section 2 above, or with other purposes for which consent has been sought and obtained.
In addition, we would disclose Personal Data in the following circumstances:
- In response to a request from law enforcement authorities or other government officials;
- To comply with a court order or direction from a government agency or regulatory authority ordering the disclosure of the Personal Data; and
- Where the disclosure is necessary for investigations or legal proceedings.
4. Protection and Security of Personal Data
We employ a range of technological and physical security arrangements and maintain safeguards to protect against the accidental or unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal, deletion and other similar risks to Personal Data.
5. Retention of your Personal Data
CFA Society Singapore only retains Personal Data for as long as the retention is required for the purposes for which we collected the Personal Data, the purposes described in this Policy and for our business and legal purposes. Generally, we do not retain Personal Data for a period of longer than 7 years after the original purposes for which the Personal Data was collected have ceased to be applicable, unless otherwise required by law, other mandatory directions by court or government authorities, for purposes of legal proceedings, or other similar proceedings or investigations.
6. How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Policy and our policies and practices on our collection, use, disclosure or retention of Personal Data, you may contact our Data Protection Officer:
Email address: [email protected]
Mailing address: Data Protection Officer
CFA Society Singapore
20 Cecil Street
7. Updating or correcting your Personal Data
CFA Society Singapore takes reasonable measures to ensure that the Personal Data we collect about individuals are accurate and complete. For this reason, if there is any change or update in Personal Data, we would like to know about these changes or updates. If there is a change or an update in your Personal Data or if there is a need to correct any Personal Data of yours that we have, please write to us and provide us with the following details:
- Your name and an email address or mailing address at which we can contact you.
- The nature of our relationship with you.
- The Personal Data for which there has been a change, update or correction.
You may send your requests to our Data Protection Officer at the contact details listed in Section 6 above.
We will endeavour to acknowledge the receipt of your request within  working days after the date of receipt of your request if it is sent by email, or within  days after the date of receipt of your request if it is sent by post. As it is important to us that the Personal Data that we have about you is accurate and complete, it may be necessary for us to request for supporting documentation from you. We will contact you if we require supporting documentation from you.
There may be circumstances where we will not update or correct Personal Data, including:
- The Personal Data is opinion data that is kept solely for an evaluative purpose; and
- The Personal Data is in documents related to a prosecution if all proceedings relating to the prosecution have not been completed.
8. Your Requests and Feedback on your Personal Data with us
You may request from CFA Society Singapore information on what Personal Data of yours we have and how we have used and shared your Personal Data during the last one year before the date of your request. CFA Society Singapore may charge a reasonable fee to cover the administrative costs of responding to your request for information, and will inform you of the reasonable fee to be paid upon receipt of your request for information.
You may choose to withdraw your consent to CFA Society Singapore’s use, collection, sharing or processing of your Personal Data at any time. Please understand that your withdrawal of your consent to our use of your Personal Data may affect the continuation of your membership, our administration of your membership with us and our provision of programmes and services to you.
If you have any concerns, feedback or complaints about the use and/or sharing of your Personal Data, we are open to receiving your feedback or complaint. To request for information on your Personal Data, withdraw consent to our use of your Personal Data or to give us feedback or make a complaint, please contact our Data Protection Officer at the contact details listed in Section 6 above.
Please note that CFA Society Singapore takes all complaints that it receives on CFA Society Singapore’s use and sharing of your Personal Data seriously. Once we receive your complaint, we will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 3 working days. To assist us in looking into, investigating and responding to your complaint, it is important that you provide us with adequate and sufficient details in relation to the complaint. It may be necessary for us to contact you to request for more information or documentation in order to assist us or to facilitate us into looking or investigating your complaint. For this reason, please provide us with your contact details when you submit your complaint, so that we can contact you for this purpose and also respond to your complaint once we have finished looking into and/or investigating your complaint.
CFA Society Singapore will use reasonable endeavours to respond to your complaints in writing within 45 days from the date of our acknowledgement to you of our receipt of your complaint. If we are not able to respond to your complaint within 45 days, we will contact you and inform you of the estimated time when we would be able to respond to your complaint. At any time, you may contact our Data Protection Officer to enquire about the status of your complaint, or if you have any queries whatsoever about our Personal Data protection policies and practices.
9. Updates to this Personal Data Protection Notice
We may change or update portions of this Policy at any time and without prior notice to you. Please review this Policy from time to time so you are aware of any changes or updates to the notice. We will indicate the effective date of the notice. If you do not agree with any of the changes or updates to the Policy, you have the option of withdrawing your consent to our collection, use, disclosure and processing of your Personal Data (please refer to Section 8 above).