learning from leading industry experts
CFA Institute Research Challenge (Season 2021 – 2022)
The CFA Institute Research Challenge is a great test for all students who are bold enough to face it. But, like any great challenge, the opportunities and rewards it offers are even greater.
This annual global equity research competition provides university students with hands-on mentoring and intensive training in financial analysis. Working in teams, students will gain real-world experience as they assume the role of research analyst and are judged on their ability to value a stock, write a research report, and present their recommendations. Students will compete with peers from other schools to see who will become the local, regional, and global champions.
How The Challenge Works?
CFA Society Singapore will work with universities to assemble teams of three to five undergraduate and/or graduate students. Teams research and analyze a designated publicly traded company; prepare a written report on that company that supports a buy, sell, or hold recommendation; receive advice and support from a faculty advisor and an industry mentor; and present and defend their findings to a panel of industry experts.
Winners from the local competitions advance to subregional competitions, then on to regional competitions in the Americas, Asia, and Europe, culminating in a global final.
bENEFITS OF PARTICIPATION
- Get in-depth training in equity analysis, research report writing, and presentation skills.
- Receive hands-on mentoring
- Develop your resume / CV
- Network with professionals and peers to make inroads within the industry
What to expect
- The majority of local level participants indicated that they spent
- 100 – 150 hours researching their assigned company and assembling their report
- 30 or more hours practicing and assembling their presentation
- The majority of regional level participants indicated that they spent more than 60 hours preparing for the regional competition.
WHAT IS CFA INSTITUTE RESEARCH CHALLENGE?
Email us at [email protected]
- Read the Official Rules (PDF)
- Review the Participation Agreement (PDF)
- Commit to follow the Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct
- Review recommended readings and tools, including:
- ESG Resources from PGIM
- Workspace Resource from Refinitiv
- CFA Institute Readings
- View winning written report and presentation slides from past challenges
Research and Write your Report
- Familiarize yourself with the official competition requirements for your written report (PDF)
- Read the written report essentials (PDF) to find out what you should include under each heading
- Submit your report using the required, official competition cover pages (DOCX)
Network and Notify
- Display your CFA Institute Research Challenge Participation (PDF) on LinkedIn
RESEARCH CHALLENGE TIMELINE